Friday, February 15, 2013

The Train Track series!

Since I can remember, I have always had a liking for all things involving trains. It might have started with walking an old track behind my primary school that once carried the Outer Circle Railway of Melbourne. Built in 1880s, and boasting 11 stations in its peak, it was finally closed and the tracks pulled up 1920s. But the romance of a steam era rail system drew me in. Since then I have taken many train journeys, been a public transport activist, and still today don’t have a driver’s licence.


Then in early 2011, possibly inspired by a pending and rather daunting overseas trip, I made my first small linocut of some train tracks.

Sometimes the wrong way is the right way



And during the summer of 2011/2012, I made 3 more. They are all around 15cm x 15cm.


I will stop wherever the ground will listen



Travelling forward, there's always another way



The Meeting Place of Our Life Lines


And over the summer 2012/2013 just gone, I have been carving 3 more blocks of lino. Here's number 5, that I posted earlier.

The paths of our future are made and not found

 Stay tuned for the final 2 train tracks. They are bigger than the last (30cm x 15), almost finished, and each is an edition of 9. 

And what's more, these final 3 will be in my upcoming solo show in April in Williamstown!

And then I think I am done! 
Seven train journeys for seven days of the week??
But let's see how I feel next summer 2013/2114!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment