Sunday, July 31, 2022

Last months artwork

 Back in June, I created a small edition of this linocut.


Practicing Stillness amidst Covid confusion, linocut, edition of 13, 10x15cm, 2022




And three of this edition have now landed in Queensland, to be part of the Printbank Mackay's biennial Print Exchange.

As many of you already may know, I love Print Exchanges. It is a great tradition in the printmaking world. Over the past decade, I have participated in dozens of exchanges, across the planet.

Printbank Mackay is one of my favourites. They are lovely people to work with, such that it is possible that I have been part of every Print Exchange they have held. They also encourage artists to send each art postcard individually in the mail. This means that each artwork ends up with a stamp and postmark as well as the scuffs of postal travel. And as someone passionate about stamps and postmarks, this makes me super happy! 

Here is the backside of the artwork (prior to postal travel).


Back side of the artwork. The text reads:
2/13 Practicing stillness amidst the covid confusion, linocut, 2022
As a disabled person reliant on health care, it is a massive feat to say calm as the health system collapses and eugenics advances.
This linocut reflects some of my daily struggle in an ableist society during covid times.
I am a proud disabled queer artist, living in Narrm, working across a printmaking, street art and community art practice.


Each year there is a theme and this years was 'Still'.

This artwork was important for me to make. I have spent a lot of the past two years, attempting to speak about the increasing difficulties in accessing health care. Covid times have made my life and those of many others dependant on health care, really difficult. But in response to my rants, I have often experienced denial and gaslighting. It has been hard. And so this year, I have been trying to be calm and rant less. And make more art!

Of course easier said than done, when the health system continues to buckle under the pressure of increasing Covid (and Long Covid) cases, as well as staff leaving the industry due to burnout. And my health just gets worse.

At the moment, it feels like the incredible strain that the health system is under is getting more media attention. It makes me feel more seen. But I also despair as I am not sure that this attention will bring any real or lasting change. Especially as those that are most affected by a failing health system, are those already with much less voice, those marginalised by poverty, race, gender diversity and disability.


My hope is that this artwork brings some visibility to this issue. 

And right now, I am feeling some relief, as one of my medications that I have been waiting on for some weeks, has just arrived. Hoping for some less pain disturbed sleep tonight.













No comments:

Post a Comment