Wednesday, April 15, 2015

'This place is marked for past and future great handstands'


This is another artwork that I pasted up on Good Friday over Easter!
It is located at the corner of Ferguson and Wellington Sts in Williamstown.






The artwork is based upon a woodcut I made last year.

As you may know by now, I do handstands! And I have been doing them everyday for almost 11 years. And I do them as part of my self management for the chronic pain and other illnesses that I live with. Simply put, handstands make me feel good. 

So I have special handstand spots everywhere I go. And several times a day, I will sneak in a quick unobtrusive handstand. In a stairwell, at the end of a hallway, down a lane way. I am mostly never noticed.

This woodcut was carved with the specific purpose of marking out these almost secret handstand spots.

During the cold months of August last year, I went out on some freezing nights, to paste up these woodcut prints in Footscray, Seddon and the CBD to mark out my handstand spots! Here's a few of the spots!


















































It was a great thing to do. Placing art in public places is challenging, but also very rewarding. I love it that people have such strong opinions about the art in their own space. It is so different to the way we behave in the white cube of the gallery.


This recent huge paste up (for me anyway at almost 3 metres high) is based upon this small woodcut. 



This time I got support from both the local Hobsons Bay Council and the owners of the brick wall, SNAP printing. (Thanks guys!)
It is located at the corner of Ferguson and Wellington sts Williamstown, just near the Town Hall. With luck it should stay in place for the rest of 2015!!



No comments:

Post a Comment