Thursday, July 19, 2018

INK MASTERS Print exhibition 2018

Pretty chuffed to have two of my etchings included in this years' biennial Inkmasters Print exhibition, in Cairns, Queensland. 
The exhibition opens July 27 and runs until August 19, at the Tanks Art Centre. 
I won't be going, but if you can go, then please do, and let me know how it is.

Here's my 2 works.



Managing the day in the light and the dark, 2016, Etching, 21cm x 26cm






Marking the Anniversary with Vitruvius, 2016/7, etching, 26cm 35cm




This second work, in particular is very significant. It was made in 2016 to mark the 18th anniversary of my accident, although it took some time for me to feel ready to share it with the world. Here's some words that I have previously written.


Marking the anniversary with Vitruvius, etching, 2016/17
Eighteen years ago, my life was turned upside down by a brain injury, requiring me to rebuild a life based on a person who thought, felt, saw and heard the world differently to the one I had known for 29 years. I also found myself with a new birth date, an anniversary that each year presents me with a confusing dilemma of celebratory survival and deeply felt loss.  
My 18th anniversary found me taking comfort in the studies of Vitruvius and Leonardo da Vinci: both scholars, separated by 14 centuries, and fascinated by the relationship of the body to the universe. 
Taking my lead from da Vinci’s 1490 drawing, Vitruvian Man, using the same dimensions, body proportions and mirror writing that he used, I created my own manifesto to mark my entry into adulthood, using my extensive studies of the body in pain and exploring my 12 yearlong ritual of handstanding





No comments:

Post a Comment