Wednesday, July 4, 2018

I was interviewed by ABC Radio National!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-24/how-a-brain-injury-birthed-a-handstand-loving-artist/9184288

Last year, 2017, was a bit of a whirlwind year. A lot happened.

The year started with my health at a very, very low point but then with some new drugs, by April, things had turned around.

With new found energy and thinking clarity, I found myself undertaking all sorts of new challenges related to my art practice and disability activism.

I hope to share some of the amazing opportunities I had, as well as some of the more dramatic and challenging outcomes.

But it might take some time. After all, I do live with chronic illness, mostly associated with my brain injury. So not only is my time and energy limited, but my ability to be online and use computers is also significantly restricted (due to the ABI nausea).



Photos by ABC radio journalist Hannah Reich on the day of the interview, at Footscray Community Arts Centre



But a friend of a friend recently posted on Facebook a link to an interview I did with the ABC Radio in November last year. To be truthful, I had almost forgotten about this. It took place at the time when I was a little overwhelmed. I was in the middle of an amazing arts residency at Footscray Community Arts Centre, which included my biggest so far solo gallery show, as well as preparing for two community and public murals about Disability Pride...and I was yet to discover what it is like to be at the centre of a little media storm (more about that in another post!).

And being interviewed on the Books and Arts Show on ABC RN, was something I had dreamed might happen to me one day, but certainly not now. I was super nervous.

But it actually was a great experience. 

And so I invite you to have a listen or a read of this interview,

How a traumatic brain injury birthed an artist (and a passion for handstands)

about an important aspect of my artwork that explores my handstand practice and its relevance to disability culture. 








No comments:

Post a Comment